The Perfect Deviled Eggs

For some reason I have always loved deviled eggs. There is something about the flavor, texture and experience of eating them that buries my happy-meter in the red. I love them and I love making them. I thought for years that deviled eggs were just a little mayo, paprika, pepper and egg yolks mixed and placed in the egg white as a kind of dish. How wrong I was. They can be as simple or as fancy as you want. Have you ever had a fresh caviar topped deviled egg? Let me show you one of the best recipes I have found.

You are going to need a few ingredients for this recipe. Of course you are going to need boiled eggs. Some people suggest using older eggs but I have never seen a difference in the recipe other than a slightly off flavor one time. I suggest the freshest eggs you can get. You will also need shallots, butter, mayo, sour cream, smoked paprika, cayenne powder and some russian caviar.

Making this is fairly simple. The night before you plan on cooking these you should turn your eggs on their sides so the yolks move to the center of the egg. Boil all of your eggs, I suggest about a dozen at a time, and let them cool completely. If I have to explain this part then stop reading now and find a “recipe” for hardboiled eggs.

Peel your eggs under cool water to make it easier and make sure you don’t damage them. Cut the eggs in half lengthwise so you get two semi eggs and the yolks are exposed.

Melt the butter in your pan and add two finely sliced shallots. Cook them for just a couple minutes and remove from the heat. Mix together the yolks from all the eggs, about a cup of sour cream, ¼ cup mayo, the shallots and ¼ teaspoon of cayenne. Scoop this mixture into the egg whites. Sprinkle just the tiniest bit of smoked paprika over the top and garnish with the red caviar that has been well drained. Beluga caviar is going to add a salty punch to this dish so don’t add any other salt into the recipe or it may be ruined and unbalanced. I suggest red caviar but you can use any variety you like other than fruit caviar.

0 comments: